TennisForum.com - View Single Post - STUTTGART 2013: Claypova slays and wins 2nd Porsche!

View Single Post

Old Apr 9th, 2013, 01:09 AM   #298
country flag ServeCaspian

ServeCaspian has a reputation beyond repute ServeCaspian has a reputation beyond repute ServeCaspian has a reputation beyond repute ServeCaspian has a reputation beyond repute ServeCaspian has a reputation beyond repute ServeCaspian has a reputation beyond repute ServeCaspian has a reputation beyond repute ServeCaspian has a reputation beyond repute ServeCaspian has a reputation beyond repute ServeCaspian has a reputation beyond repute ServeCaspian has a reputation beyond repute
Re: STUTTGART 2013: Aint no backseat in my Porsche!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighterpova View Post
What?

I'm sorry, but this is just too much

If Serena plays over 60%, Maria is toast, no matter the surface.

Hate me for it, but you know it's true. Serena just wont allow Maria to win

Seriously, why is everyone overreacting so much? Maria is great on clay, but she is no Nadal and she can be beaten on clay (other than Serena). Please, can we take it one match at a time? Please
No that is just ridiculous.

Serena is the GOAT but I'm talking about the actual technicalities of their games here. Serena's serve and movement are greatly dampened by the surface.
Of course she can beat Maria on this surface, but if Maria's playing well she'll have to play a clay court match like she hasn't played since 2002.

There is a reason why she hasn't beaten a single top 20 player at RG since 2003(?).

By comparison Maria's serve is highly effective, as is the spin on her shots. The higher bounce is normally right in her strike zone and you can only exploit her movement to the FH side but even that is hard to do. There are very few weaknesses in her game on clay.

And I get what people are saying about not hyping it but we knew going in last year that it should have been successful. I guess we'll just have to see everyone playing first but as it stands, Maria really shouldn't be losing to anyone not named Li, Stosur or Errani on the dirt.