TennisForum.com - View Single Post - STUTTGART 2013: Claypova slays and wins 2nd Porsche!

View Single Post

Old Apr 8th, 2013, 01:51 PM   #290
country flag domon17th

domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future
Re: STUTTGART 2013: Aint no backseat in my Porsche!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Voices View Post
I really bugs me how she doesn't play a pre-grass event, but with her clay success (especially last year) you can't really expect her to clean sweep on the dirt and then enter a pre-slam tournament and not be physically dead at Wimbledon
Well I don't see why she can't do it actually. I don't think we all expect her to win all the clay prep tourneys. One of the most improved aspect of Martha's game is her endurance, and I think she'd have no problem playing through these tournaments unless she Poova them all with 3 setters.

I don't even expect her to win Birmingham tbh if she enters (lost to one Jamea Jackson anyone ), just want her to get used to grass after that long clay season. I'd argue that on top of the emotional high from winning RG and to a lesser extent Sabine's form, Martha just didn't have enough time to get used to grass last year, hence that early loss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asherahpova View Post
I would only favour Serena at Madrid but even at that I would have to see how the new clay plays first.
Serena does struggle to move on clay though, her speed has always been a muscly effort as opposed to a more natural finesse about the court, and her footwork is piss-poor most of the time so she isn't comfortable running around. In fact, any player that gets her moving at all or gets a good amount of spin will get a weak/midcourt response from her on the surface. I just don't see how she could cope with an in form Maria on clay, who would be consistently hammering back the balls with a lot of spin and implementing the angles when she got the chance.

Plus her serve on red clay isn't anywhere close to the weapon it is on hard/grass.

Yes Serena is the best on tour, but people think her RG showings are purely mental, which it largely is, but there have been a lot of other red clay tournaments since 2002.
She is the GOAT of this generation but she hasn't bothered improving on clay ever, and her limitations on the surface shows each year.
I agree. Sarin will never be a natural claycourter, but her game is so good itself that the surface doesn't really matter if she brings it. I think in that regard she tends to be complacent. I also think that with age it's harder to really summon your best on the slow clay courts, and TBH, I'm not really impressed by Sarin's footwork so far this year
domon17th is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote