TennisForum.com - View Single Post - French Open 2012: Andrew's TV-reports (Fourth round added)

View Single Post

Old Apr 7th, 2013, 10:04 PM   #2
country flag andrewbroad
Team WTAworld

andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute
First-round TV-report: Sharapova v Cadanţu

FRENCH OPEN (Roland Garros, Paris, France; outdoor red clay; Major)

At last I have reached the French Open 2012 in my backlog. I watched all seven of Maria’s matches on ITV. I wrote up the final at the time. Now it’s time to write up Maria’s other six matches, starting with the first round.

I aim to finish my French Open 2012 reports before the French Open 2013. The way things are going, Wimbledon 2012 and the Olympics will have to wait until after Wimbledon 2013.

Women’s Singles: First round: Alexandra Cadanţu v Maria Sharapova (Tuesday 29th May 2012)

+ MARIA SHARAPOVA [2] d. Alexandra Cadanţu, 6-0 6-0

In a short, sweet opening to her French Open campaign, Maria was on awesome form, and the #78-ranked Cadanţu was quite simply out of her depth.

Both girls were grunting loudly: compared to Maria’s grunt, Cadanţu’s grunt was high-pitched and long, rather like Victoria Azarenka’s. ITV commentator Sam Smith said: “The only thing Cadanţu’s doing better than Sharapova is shrieking – I’ve got a feeling it’s a little louder than Sharapova’s, and that takes some doing, doesn’t it?”

First set
CADANŢU ______ 0
SHARAPO *@*@*@ 6

The match was second on Court Suzanne Lenglen, and started at 12:27 CEST. ITV4 started televising it at 0:0 0-4* Ad*.

Sharapova serving 0-0: 15/0. 30/0. 40/0 (GP #1). Held.

Cadanţu serving 0-1: 0/15. 0/30. 0/40 (BP #1). 15/40 (BP #2). Broken.

Sharapova serving 2-0: 15/0. 15/15. 30/15. 40/15 (GP #1). Held.

Cadanţu serving 0-3: 15/0. 15/15. 15/30. 15/40 (BP #1). Broken.

Sharapova serving 4-0: 0/15. 15/15. 15/30. 15/40 (BP #1). 30/40 (BP #2). Deuce #1. Ad Sharapova (GP #1). First serve out wide + backhand winner down the line. Held.

Cadanţu serving 0-5: First serve out wide induced Maria to net a forehand return. 15/0. Cadanţu’s deep forehand induced Maria to bunt a backhand long. 30/0. Maria hit a crosscourt forehand drive-volley winner from no-man’s-land. 30/15. Maria’s deep, kicking backhand down the line induced Cadanţu to net a forehand. 30/30. Maria’s deep crosscourt forehand return induced Cadanţu to net a forehand. 30/40 (SP #1 for Sharapova). Maria went to the net, hit an off-forehand drive-volley straight to Cadanţu’s backhand, but Cadanţu hit it long. Sharapova won the first set 6-0 at 12:50 CEST (23m).

ITV commentator Sam Smith: “Once Sharapova’s got you in a headlock, that’s pretty much it.”

Second set
CADANŢU ______ 0
SHARAPO *@*@*@ 6

Sharapova serving 0-0: Deep first serve out wide induced Cadanţu to net a forehand return. 15/0. Maria went to the net and hit an off-forehand drive-volley winner back behind Cadanţu. 30/0. First serve out wide induced Cadanţu to net a forehand return. 40/0 (GP #1). Double fault #3 (second serve into the net). 40/15 (GP #2). Maria’s forehand clipped the netcord and fell back on her side. 40/30 (GP #3). Maria dispatched a deep, high-bouncing ball with a pinpoint forehand winner down the line. Held.

Cadanţu serving 0-1 (new balls): Double fault #2 (second serve just long). 0/15. Maria netted a makeable forehand return. 15/15. Maria hit a deep backhand return just inside the baseline, forcing Cadanţu to hit a backhand long. 15/30. Cadanţu hit a down-the-line backhand just wide. 15/40 (BP #1). Cadanţu jammed Maria with a forehand down the middle, inducing Maria to hit an off-forehand wide. 30/40 (BP #2). Cadanţu hit a pinpoint crosscourt forehand onto the sideline, inducing Maria to hit a forehand that clipped the netcord and fell back on her side. Deuce #1. Maria’s depth induced Cadanţu to hit a backhand very long. Ad Sharapova (BP #3). Maria forced a short ball, and dispatched it with a crosscourt forehand winner. Broken.

Sharapova serving 2-0: First serve out wide, deep in the corner, forced Cadanţu to earth a forehand return. 15/0. Cadanţu’s forehand return was deeper than Maria expected, inducing her to bunt an early forehand long. 15/15. Maria hit a short crosscourt forehand winner just inside the sideline. 30/15. Maria went to the net and forced a floater, but got off-balance and mishit a forehand smash wide. 30/30. Maria’s depth induced Cadanţu to hit a crosscourt backhand wide. 40/30 (GP #1). Deep first serve down the middle forced Cadanţu to bunt a forehand return very long. Held.

Sam Smith: “Although clay provides some problems for Sharapova, she doesn’t mind the ball getting up high, because she’s 6′2. So she doesn’t get beaten by the bounce, and that’s a huge advantage.”

Cadanţu serving 0-3: Maria punished a short second serve with a forehand return-winner down the line. 0/15. Double fault #3 (second serve long). 0/30. Deep first serve induced Maria to bunt a forehand return long. 15/30. Maria’s depth forced Cadanţu to hit a crosscourt forehand wide. 15/40 (BP #1). Double fault #4 (second serve into the net). Broken.

Sharapova serving 4-0: Double fault #4 (second serve into the net). 0/15. Cadanţu hit a wild off-forehand wide. 15/15. Cadanţu went to the net behind a penetrating crosscourt forehand, but mishit a forehand smash wide. 30/15. Deep first serve down the middle forced Cadanţu to bunt a forehand return into the net. 40/15 (GP #1). First serve out wide induced Cadanţu to earth a forehand return. Held.

Cadanţu looked like she was chewing on wasps as she prepared to serve to avoid the double bagel.

Cadanţu serving 0-5: Maria hit a crosscourt backhand deep into the corner, forcing Cadanţu to bunt a backhand long by a whisker. 0/15. Maria hit a deep forehand just inside the baseline, forcing Cadanţu to bunt a forehand wide. 0/30. Slow first serve out wide: Maria hit a pinpoint forehand winner down the line. 0/40 (MP #1 for Sharapova). Cadanţu, on the third stroke, sprayed a wild forehand very long, then gave a wry smile after shaking hands. Sharapova won 6-0 6-0 at 13:16 CEST (second set 26m, match 49m).

--
Dr. Andrew Broad
My Eternal Fanship: 1. Monica Seles; 2. Мария Шарапова (‘Maria Sharapova’); 3. Daniela Hantuchová; 4. Jelena Dokić; 5. Iva Majoli; 6. Karina Habšudová; 7. Вера Звонарёва (‘Vera Zvonarëva’); 8. Nicole Vaidišová; 9. Анна Чакветадзе (‘Anna Chakvetadze’); 10. Lucie Šafářová; 11. Ирода Туляганова (‘Iroda Tulyaganova’); 12. Magdaléna Rybáriková; 13. Sabine Lisicki

Last edited by andrewbroad : May 15th, 2013 at 08:19 PM.
andrewbroad is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote