TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Alize season 2013

View Single Post

Old Mar 25th, 2013, 01:00 PM   #99
country flag jiffster

jiffster is a name known to all jiffster is a name known to all jiffster is a name known to all jiffster is a name known to all jiffster is a name known to all jiffster is a name known to all jiffster is a name known to all jiffster is a name known to all jiffster is a name known to all jiffster is a name known to all jiffster is a name known to all
Re: Alize season 2013

I was at the match yesterday. It was very hot, they played midday, with swirling winds. Davis played a very solid first set, was getting everything back and hitting some nice winners. I think because of the wind it was difficult for both players to be super aggressive, so the rallies were long with lots of looping topspin shots. The games and rallies were long, and there were many deuce points on both sides. It was almost like watching a clay court match. Mauresmo was in the stands watching and was full of support for Alize's efforts. Alize was in a lot of trouble, but started to turn things around in the second set. She hit some pretty effective drop shots, and Davis started missing a bit. By the end of the second set both players were exhausted. Davis was clearly cramping in the back of her legs, and both players left the court for 15 minutes between sets 2 and 3. Alize started strong in the third set, and opened up a 4-1 lead. I was surprised that Davis had seemed to recover from her cramping, and was moving well. I thought she might default early in the third set, but instead she seemed to revive and started playing better again. At 4-1 Alize was in the driver's seat, but the match did not feel resolved yet. Alize is always capable of losing her service game, and it seemed like it would still be a fight to the finish. In the end, I think Alize's experience pushed her past Davis. Alize fought really hard in the final games, though she was clearly in distress. Still she played smart, and was aggressive when she could be and it paid off. At match point Alize screamed in victory, a win that she deserved and really wanted. Davis walked off the court quickly into the arms of her coach, she was very upset and crying. Alize walked off looking fine, smiling and waving to the crowd. Neither player emerged from the small court 2 stadium for quite awhile, in fact the next doubles match started before either player left. Davis did not leave in a wheelchair, but she was rushed out by a bunch of security and she was clearly not feeling well. Alize left 10 minutes later, and was rolled out in a wheelchair with towels of ice on her neck and legs. Shot lots of photos, will post when I get a chance.

Her match with Vinci is mid to late afternoon today, and heat should not be a factor. Vinci came back to beat Suarez-Navarro and looked pretty strong in doing so. This could be a tough match.
jiffster is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote