TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Miami coverage: post #116: There are actually streams for all courts! but not shown!!

View Single Post

Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 03:41 PM   #12
Olórin

Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Miami coverage: ATP: 11 Matches vs. WTA: 4 Matches! DISCUSS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Third Mall View Post
Brings into question equal pay, doesn't it?

I mean, I know being nice dictates there should be equal pay but being fair and objective I think dictates there shouldn't be.

People will not like me for this comment but even as a fan of women's tennis over men's, I just can't understand how equal pay is justified.

The women actually get paid more in this event than the men, according to the tournament website. I've not looked into this in too much detail and I don't really care any way.

However, the point that I am interested in is the seemingly worsening international coverage of this event. The problem isn't the split between men and women's matches it's that so few of either are being shown. For an event of this calibre it's just not acceptable. The powers that be may or may not be justified in splitting coverage so lopsidedly when the pickings are slim - where are the proofs either way. Hard to prove that as many people wouldn't watch 11 women's matches if you don't actually show them. So no it doesn't bring equal pay into question, and that's not even the issue.
Olórin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote