TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Alexandra Dulgheru!!!

View Single Post

Old Mar 22nd, 2013, 11:48 AM   #3316
country flag Shvedbarilescu
Everybody's a star!!!

Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Alexandra Dulgheru!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncurv View Post
Well, the glass is half full when it's half empty...
If she had lost 0-6 0-6 I wouldn't have minded at all. But at this score I have to say I'm dissapointed. I only expected more, because she obviously can do more.
A win here: 50 ranking points, up 70 places in the rankings and the chance to play some qualies in some high-level events in the clay season (when she'll run out of PR entries), instead of 10K & 25K ITF events.
Her loss: none of the above.

As for the 3h match... She already proved she can do this several times since her comeback after injury (Arruabarena-Vecino, Peng). I want to see her winning 3h+ matches. Besides that, they played like 1h 30 min, then they had a break for almost 4h due to a monsoon, and when they resumed they played for another 1h 30 min, so... plenty of time to recover from eventual fatigue from the first session.
If Alex had lost 6-0 6-0 that would have been a seriously bleak depressing result which would have suggested that any hope of her coming back to top 100, let alone the top 30 was uncertain at best. If Alex had lost that match 6-0 6-0 I would have been seriously bummed and unsure about her future.

In contrast 5-7 6-4 7-6(3) in three hours indicates Alex is once again fit enough to play a high level competitive three hour matches on what is the toughest surface to play on in terms of the demands it makes on the knees. That Alex came through such a match completely fit is brilliant.

You have to look at the bigger picture. We are talking about a career here not just a tennis match. As long as Alex is able to go three hours with AMG on a slow hardcourt I really feel good about her fitness and already it looks like Alex is playing to a top 75 standard. Which at this point in her comeback is fantastic. Hopefully she can get even better for the clay court season.

Would it have been nice if Alex won this match? Absolutely. Is it a bit disappointing that she lost it from a winning position? I suppose it is. Does it really matter much when one looks at the bigger picture and Alex's future? No, not at all.

As a result 7-5 4-6 6-7(3) >>>>>>>>>>> 0-6 0-6 and it's not even close.

Last edited by Shvedbarilescu : Mar 22nd, 2013 at 12:10 PM.
Shvedbarilescu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote