TennisForum.com - View Single Post - On the Concept of Irony w/ Continual Reference to Caro, the #1 Sunshine Queen

View Single Post

Old Mar 19th, 2013, 11:16 AM   #4780
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: On the Concept of Irony w/ Continual Reference to Caro, the #1 Sunshine Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by marineblue View Post
[/b]

Vika is the tennis version of 'How to lose friends and alienate people'. Well, on this occassion it should be 'How to lose fans and alienate people'.

It's really curious that a person so successful can have so little appeal to the general public. Wondering why it might be I think it is a reflection of her own personal attitude. I think that she does this sport for herself and doesn't really care about others. She is in it to make a lot of money and fill up her trophy cabinet, that's basically it.
This could have something to do with the mentality of Eastern Europe (I'm from there). People,especially successful people, are rather individualistic and not so interested in supporting some sort of a community spirit.
I'm not a Vika fan by any stretch of the imagination, but I always considered her "I don't give a fuck about what you think about me" her most admirable character trait. And I really think she doesn't. She has this attitude of "you can root against me and for my opponent as much as you want, but when it's all over I'll be the winner and there's not a thing you can do about it."

Bad girls CAN be popular, but unfortunately she doesn't have enough charisma to pull it off. Hingis was a bad girl, sorta, but she was popular for her game which was eye candy of course, but also because she was funny despite her being so cocky. Capriati had a bad girl image, but people rooted for her because she had this rock'n'roll streetfighter "me against the world" aura around her. Vika doesn't really have any of that. It would already help her popularity if she gave up on that high pitched shrieking which to me is more annoying than Sharapova's because it sounds so unnatural. But again - Vika doesn't give a fuck, and somehow I can respect that.
Chrissie-fan is offline View My Blog!