TennisForum.com - View Single Post - INDIAN WELLS 2013- Perfect finish: Maria wins her 2nd IW TITLE :D

View Single Post

Old Mar 18th, 2013, 09:31 AM   #1547
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: INDIAN WELLS 2013- Perfect finish: Maria wins her 2nd IW TITLE :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trih View Post
Awwwwww, don't be sad though, even if she obviously said "On to Miami" etc. etc. I think she played a good tournament. As I said somewhere else, it's nothing but the real difference between #3 and #10, just like - say - the difference between Serena and the rest, it's not a shame. ....

......Still, Caro's getting better than her 2012 which was quite awful, she's not like 2010-11 when she was a no-error machine for real but she deserves a spot in the top 10 so far.
I'm reasonably happy. I'm after all also a Maria fan, so I'm happy for her. And as far as Caroline is concerned, well, it's not as though I expected that she would win this. Before the tournament started I definitely would have signed for having Maria as the winner and Caroline as the runner-up. Of course, once Caro was actually in the final I hoped for even more, that's normal I think, even though I knew that her chances were pretty slim at best. So no, I'm happy with her making the final. Maria was just better on the day and is a better player overall.

But it's also clear to me that it's very unlikely that Caroline will ever win a major or a YEC. The gap between her best and what Vika, Serena, Maria, Na, Petra and Aga have to offer has become too big. She missed her window of opportunity in 2010-2011. Not that I considered her one of the top favorites even in those days, but the level of the other top players was not as high, at least not on a consistent basis, as it is today and Caroline herself was playing well enough to have an outside chance of taking advantage of that sooner or later if a draw opened up for her.

It never happened even though she came close a couple of times, and now it's too late because her own level has dropped while everyone else's has gone up. And even if she gets back to her level of 2010-2011 it won't be enough anymore. She'll have to be better than she was in those days to have any sort of chance of doing it now, and I can't see that happen. She missed the boat or fell overboard midway through and late in 2011 when she started struggling while the other important players of her age group (Kvitova, Vika, Aga) made their move and she's been swimming ever since to catch up but she's only seen that boat disappearing ever further into the distance.

But it is what it is and I don't mind rooting for someone who by normal standards is still having an amazing career. I see that she's gone up a spot on the ranking list, she's just made the final of a premier mandatory and she's doing well in the race, so it's all good. I now hope for a good draw in Miami so that she can follow this up with a decent run there as well.
Chrissie-fan is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote