TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Off Topic....Anything Goes vol4

View Single Post

Old Mar 17th, 2013, 08:21 AM   #2409
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Off Topic....Anything Goes vol4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieOwen3 View Post
Guys you should really learn to not bash others It's better to just respect the other players regardless of what their fans are like. It's always my view when I see someone say they hate Maria cuz of her fans. Such a stupid reason to dislike a player.
That's right. It's not as though we're speaking for the player(s) we support. In fact, they would definitely be embarrassed about much of what is posted at TF on a daily basis. But it's very obvious that the comments from some reflect badly on a fanbase and make, as you say, other people turn against the player they support. Even in the case of Woz in 2009-2011 when the whole of TF got a collective orgasm from bashing Caro 24/7 one of the many reasons that were mentionned for hating her was "her annoying fans." Although in her case that was a rather strange reason since we were outnumbered by about a hundred to one with the mods often joining in with those hundred and you can't expect every fan to be Bambi like me and stay friendly while others are arguing that Woz should be raped or stabbed to death. And at the Woz forum many considered Sharapova's fanbase to be the worst of the lot, which was saying something, believe me. And as a result some folks there that previously never had a problem with Maria turned against her because of what her fans were saying about Woz. So yes, ridiculing and insulting other players is definitely bad PR for the player you support.

That was also the main reason why I stayed away from SS for so long. I liked Maria, but I considered SS enemy territory where my avatar and signature would have the same effect as a red handkerchief on a bull. When I finally joined here I found out that most of you are perfectly nice people, which only goes to show that a minority can seriously damage the reputation of a fanbase and that a few vile posters make more of an impression on us than a reasonable majority. Sad but true. As an example, when I say "Aga fan" the first name that will pop up into your heads will be that Stwhatever troll, as though he is somehow representative of Radwanska's fanbase.

But it's also very obvious that a lot of TF-ers don't mind any of that and that they see TF as a place where you have the Sharapova tribe, the Serena tribe, the Woz tribe, the Vika tribe, and so on. And they get a kick out of out-insulting and out-trash talking each other. To them it's what TF is and should be all about because it's there where all the "fun" is.
Chrissie-fan is offline View My Blog!