TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Blast Encyclopedia of Female Tennis Players

View Single Post

Old Mar 16th, 2013, 10:44 AM   #157
country flag LKK

LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice
Re: Blast Encyclopedia of Female Tennis Players

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmark401 View Post
From “Der Tennissport”, 15 February 1939:

Anne Schneider-Peitz erzählt/Anne Schneider-Peitz writes the following:

"...) My nicest win was... a defeat. I was playing against one of the most famous of the top players in the world. She made me wait half an hour before the match could begin and, when I kept up a one game lead in the first set, furiously threw her racket all over the court so that it ended up hanging from the net, where I happened to be standing at the time. When I was leading 5-4, she interrupted the match by going to get some ‘refreshments’ as cool as you please. I won the first set 6-4. In the second set, which she won 6-2, everything went smoothly. However, after I had led 3-0 in the third set and she had then pulled up to 4-4, when she again left me waiting for a long time in order to go for more ‘refreshments’ and to get some good advice, and this not even during the changeover, I would have preferred simply to stop and leave the court. The exhaustion that began to creep over me as I waited for my opponent to return strengthened this desire. But I fought against this exhaustion and conquered it. However, the self-control I needed to exert for this victory cost me so much in concentration that I lost the next two games without winning another point. (...)"
Thanks for sharing this interesting article, Newmark. I think her opponent ("one of the most famous of the top players in the world") was Mme Mathieu.
LKK is offline View My Blog!