TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2

View Single Post

Old Mar 10th, 2013, 09:41 PM   #2533
country flag Ms. Anthropic

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all
Re: Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2

They make it sound like Steffi is over-reacting, but the funny thing is, somewhere in my archives I'm pretty sure there's an article in which some incredibly famous player (Chris Evert, IIRC) gets stopped and lectured by a guard for not having her pass.

SECURITY TIGHT AT POLO CLUB
Sun-Sentinel
Thursday, March 10, 1988
JIM SARNI

BOCA RATON -- Do you know me?

Steffi Graf clutched her player identification badge as she walked into the media tent for her postmatch news conference Tuesday.

The top player in women's tennis had changed into a T-shirt and skirt after her opening-round victory over Lisa Bonder at the Virginia Slims of Florida.

But she still looked like Steffi Graf.

"Some of the guards know me, but when I walk around in normal clothes, I don't want to take any chances," Graf said.

Security at The Polo Club is as strict as a third-grade teacher. The guards will grudgingly let you in to see the tournament, but don't try to invade the clubhouse for lunch. Members only. And players with badges.

--

Carling Bassett Seguso came out to watch Chris Evert play Tuesday night. She would not have been rude if she had left early.

Bassett and Robert Seguso have been expecting their first child for a week. The wait continues, and she will have labor induced if the baby doesn't arrive by March 15.

"She's the most beautiful pregnant woman I've seen," Evert said. "I thought when you're nine months pregnant, it takes five minutes to get up out of a chair."

--

You've come far enough, baby. The Women's International Tennis Association is seeking a sponsor to replace Virginia Slims when the cigarette brand's contract expires in 1989. The situation is still smoky, though. Virginia Slims, which has sponsored women's tennis since 1970, indicates it could return as a sponsor.

--

Ana Leaird of Deerfield Beach is leaving her position as director of worldwide operations for Virginia Slims to rejoin the WITA as director of public relations. . . Wiltrud Probst's nickname is Willi-Widdi. . . Linda Ferrando of Italy lists her favorite movies as Rocky I, Rocky II and Rocky III. Maybe she hasn't see Rocky IV?

--

Five Americans are left in the draw -- Evert, Pam Shriver, Mary Joe Fernandez, Robin White and Peanut Louie Harper. . . Evert is playing doubles with Wendy Turnbull. They are seeded fourth behind Claudia Kohde-Kilsch and Helena Sukova, Shriver and Betsy Nagelsen, and Hana Mandlikova and Jana Novotna. . . Mandlikova and Zina Garrison, who is teamed with Katrina Adams, are playing doubles but not singles.

--

SportsChannel Florida will televise on tape delay the quarterfinals and semifinals. Two Friday quarterfinals will air Saturday at 2 p.m., with Saturday afternoon's semifinals scheduled for Saturday night at 7:30. Carl Foster of Inside World Tennis will do the play-by-play, with JoAnne Russell providing the commentary. ESPN will televise Sunday's final live at 2 p.m., with Cliff Drysdale and Virginia Wade.

--

Harper and Horvath played for the first time in five years Wednesday, with Harper prevailing 6-4, 7-5. Their three-match rivalry has spanned 10 seasons. Horvath won in Tampa in 1979; Louie won in Washington in 1983.
Ms. Anthropic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote