TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Off topic - The Chak fans chat thread!

View Single Post

Old Mar 9th, 2013, 04:59 PM   #2814
country flag Tezuka.
Donna Rules.

Tezuka. has a reputation beyond repute Tezuka. has a reputation beyond repute Tezuka. has a reputation beyond repute Tezuka. has a reputation beyond repute Tezuka. has a reputation beyond repute Tezuka. has a reputation beyond repute Tezuka. has a reputation beyond repute Tezuka. has a reputation beyond repute Tezuka. has a reputation beyond repute Tezuka. has a reputation beyond repute Tezuka. has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Off topic - The Chak fans chat thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melange View Post
is that Alvaro Recoba
Yes. My fav footballer ever. For me nothing is more beautiful than watching this guy play at his best. He was insanely talented (as talented as Messi if not more). He was a true genius. He was god-like techniquely (beyond perfect in that aspect), unbelievable free kick taker, world class shotmaker, Maradona-like dribbler and was really fast. Plus his shooting power was amazing. It's unreal how much pace and power he could generate with his left foot. He really could do everything with his magical left foot. I never seen a better left foot since Maradona. He was such a joy to watch even though her never fulfilled his potential. He had the talent to be all time great and the best player in the world but he never had the mentality for that. Plus he was injured quite a lot.

He is by far the biggest waste of talent I've ever seen in football. The things he was capable of doing with his left foot were out of this world. I really miss him. I always wanted to play like him when I was a kid. I actually was cheering for Inter because of him.

"Recoba was the greatest talent never blossomed that I have ever seen" - (Cit. J.Zanetti).
Zanetti is 100% right here.

This is a great article about him.
http://lovelyleftfoot.com/web/2011/0...-left-footers/

Quote:
The diminutive South American forward picks up the ball in his own half, ball glued to his trusty left-foot as he glides past defender after defender with relative ease, throwing in a body swerve here and nutmeg there. As he bears down on goal there is certain inevitability as he blasts the ball into the back of the net, adding another beautiful goal to his vast collection.
Upon reading that opening paragraph you would be forgiven for thinking I was waxing lyrical about Lionel Messi, the greatest player in world football. Barcelona’s number 10 is not the subject of my affection however; I was describing Uruguayan genius Álvaro Recoba, a player that could have been just as good as the Argentine had it not been for unfortunate circumstances which were mostly of his own doing.
Quote:
Inter’s number 20 would only play more than twenty league games twice over the next six seasons but despite his limited involvement he would produce more pieces of footballing brilliance than most players could dream of, scoring several goal-of-the-season candidates until he finally left the club in 2007. It may seem odd that an injury prone player with a mentality problem would remain at one club for a decade but it was Moratti’s adoration for the South American playmaker that would keep him at the San Siro as he refused to allow his managers to sell Recoba.
Moratti’s blind faith in Recoba probably shows just how talented he was, as he refused to let go of a player that he always believed could one day become the best in the world. Although he would never come close to reaching those heights he always entertained and the fact that he could do nothing for 89 minutes before stealing the show with a brilliant free-kick is something that always endeared him to me.
Like Le Tissier he never fulfilled his potential but if you type his name into YouTube you will struggle to find a finer collection of skills, tricks and great goals. Being able to produce something out of nothing seems to be a trait of many left-footed players and very few did that more than Álvaro Recoba. Yes he could have been better and yes he had his problems, but at his best he was sublime and his unfortunate career only adds to the intrigue surrounding him.
At the age of 35 he is in the twilight of his career, though having played only a handful of games since 2007 many fans probably think he’s been retired for years. But he still has that natural ability and by scoring goals like he did earlier this week he reminds football fans just how good he can be and just how good he could have been and that is why Álvaro Recoba is my favourite left-footed player.

Forever Chakvetadze

Last edited by Tezuka. : Mar 9th, 2013 at 05:16 PM.
Tezuka. is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote