TennisForum.com - View Single Post - The Amazing and Remarkable Monica Niculescu

View Single Post

Old Mar 4th, 2013, 08:49 PM   #2193
country flag Curcubeu

Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Amazing and Remarkable Monica Niculescu

Monica was on the front page of the sports newspaper this week and this is quite some achievement for a not soccer athlet.

And she gave a wonderful interview.

Quote:
How will your first WTA career title influence your further career?
I am very happy because I won a WTA tournament, it is quite different to another semifinal or final. When you win a tournament, you feel that you brought all things to an end, and this is one of my mottos in life: to bring all things to the end! At the beginning of the tournament there were about 50 players to show up, and that you ended up as the best gives you a special feeling and confidence. It's a confirmation that what I do well the things I do and that I'm on the right track.

There was a very high humidity in Florianopolis (around 95% - 35°C degrees). How are you going to recover?
The conditions were pretty tough, high temperatures and very high humidity! But we are used to such conditions. I admit that it was not easy for me to recover from one match to another, but I felt I had played well lately and that I could avhieve a good result. I felt well at home lately. I am confident in my game, I improved my service a little. I feel I know what to do, and that gives me confidence that I can play on an equal level with the best players of the game.

How did you prepare for the final match against Puchkova? Were there times when you communicated with your coach, Calin Ciorbagiu?
We always speak about tactics before the match, depending on each opponent, and if unforeseen problems arise, he is allowed to enter the field once during a set and we discuss possible changes then. I read often read in his face if I do things well or not, because after so many years we are able to communicate somewhat through our eyes and interpret our moods.

What impressed you in Brazil?
The fact that many Brazilians have a similar physiognomy than we Romanians. I was walking down the street and I saw people and felt that they are Romanian and it made ​​me feel like I'm belonging to the place to which they belong. I felt at home, despite the higher temperatures and humdity. Otherwise, I only know a few words in Portuguese but it seems a pleasant language. If I had more time to watch soap operas, I could enrich my vocabulary, but unfortunately I do not have. I think I will learn new words next year when I come to defend my title.
No boring interviews with Monica.

Some GOAT stuff answering that last question. Definitely underrated on TF.