TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Petra Kvitova News and Articles

View Single Post

Old Feb 25th, 2013, 06:47 PM   #2076
country flag ArcticMoose

ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold
Re: Petra Kvitova News and Articles

23 February 2013 Last updated at 17:10

Petra Kvitova beats Sara Errani in Dubai Championships final

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/21554418
Former Wimbledon champion Petra Kvitova won her first WTA title for six months with victory over Italy's Sara Errani at the Dubai Championships.

The Czech, 22, came through 6-2 1-6 6-1 in one hour and 40 minutes to claim the 10th tournament win of her career.

Top seeds Victoria Azarenka and Serena Williams withdrew earlier in the week.

Kvitova, ranked eighth, last won a title in New Haven last August, and Dubai marks her biggest triumph since the 2011 WTA Championships.

"It was up and down, but I can say I was focused and calm, which was important after the second set," she said.

"It was important to stay in the game and to do my best and to be aggressive."

Kvitova's victory was achieved without the presence of her coach David Kotyza, who was on holiday.

"I hope he is happy," she said. "It was something special. I am here alone. Sometimes it is difficult to go on court and think about the game by myself."

Kvitova won the first four games in 15 minutes and the opening set in half an hour as Errani, the world number seven, struggled to cope with her power.

The Italian had lost all three previous meetings against Kvitova in straight sets, but finally ended that sequence to level the final.

A drop volley and a Kvitova double fault helped Errani break in game four and a run of six straight games put her firmly in control with a deciding set looming.

Kvitova took a comfort break between sets and it proved a wise decision as she came through a mini crisis at 0-40 to make it 2-1, and did not lose another game.

"I was quite down," she said of the decision to leave the court after the second set.

"I mean, I was in the locker room and I was thinking that, really, that I must stay positive - and just play."
ArcticMoose is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote