TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Laura Robson: The Silver Medal Years 2012-

View Single Post

Old Feb 22nd, 2013, 04:21 PM   #1352
country flag allracquetsports

allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice
Re: Laura Robson: The Silver Medal Years 2012-

Between the Olympics & US open, Laura spent time working with Andy Murray's fitness trainer and it was from then that everyone commented on how Laura's movement had improved around the back of the court. After a 2 month shutdown it may have been difficult for a young woman to take on the kind of physical work that Andy's team had given her when tournaments & ranking points are beckoning. Possibly Laura is what I would call a natural sporty person but maybe not a top class athlete, so she will need someone to monitor her and push her on the training side to complement the coach, who is probably more focused on shots & game strategy.

To see where she is at, look for bounce on the baseline and setting off on the balls of her feet. I get the impression that Laura is more on her heels than at the tail end of last year. When you are chasing from side to side, changing direction requires decent abs, quads & lower leg strength to cope with the deceleration and push off in the opposite direction while the extra agility & speed off the mark you get from bouncing on the balls of the feet also needs strong calves & ankles.

One thing is for sure, you don't get strong abs, quads & calves from practicing tennis all day - only targeted exercise routines will bring Laura back to where she was last October. Then the issue is not getting there but maintaining the physical level.

If Andy & Laura are both at Indian Wells, she should meet up with his team & write down the routines that she was working on late last summer.
allracquetsports is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote