TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Maria's problem against Serena Williams

View Single Post

Old Feb 18th, 2013, 03:34 PM   #28
country flag Mexicola

Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Maria's problem against Serena Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsondan View Post
how long has it been since maria won a set against serena? i think it was 2008 in charleston. good effort in 2010 at wimbledon, lost tiebreaker and second set 6-4. maria won a three set march in 2004, lost in australia in 2005, and the 2008 loss on clay...how long after that did she take the time off?

win a set...the third sets are getting harder for serena.
Never mind taking a set. When was the last time she broke Serena's serve? She didn't do it yesterday, she didn't do it in Istanbul, and she didn't do it at the Olympics. Did she break her in Madrid? I can't even remember.

I agree with the points here. I know people get tired of others reiterating the same criticisms of Maria over and over. But all Maria would have to do is show some kind of progress, some kind of wrinkle, just some tiny bit of evidence that she's evolving and willing to do something different to help her game. Then we could talk about Maria's game in a more positive and hopeful manner.

But all of these losses play out in nearly the exact same manner. It's uncanny. The Li losses, the Kvitova loss at Wimbledon, all the Azarenka and Serena losses. The serve is unreliable, the DFs come at the worst times, her return game is subpar, conservative shot-making, mostly hitting to the middle of the court, blown BP and 0-30 and 15-30 chances, blown game points on her own serve, scared to move forward, and the errors off the ground that start piling up. She always talks about changing things up, only to trot out the same limited tactics every. single. time.

The thing is, though, even with these limitations, she still makes a TON of semis and finals! She keeps giving herself these chances, which is amazing. So just imagine how many more titles she could have won or could be winning if she had a little more variety and consistency to her game. She could be scary great, but I'm not seeing it happening.
Mexicola is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote