TennisForum.com - View Single Post - SemiPova returns to flop in Doha. GSM Serena 6-3 6-2.

View Single Post

Old Feb 17th, 2013, 08:05 PM   #963
C. Drone
CFO

C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: SemiPova returns to flop in Doha. GSM Serena 6-3 6-2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsanders06 View Post
Tbh, even before the surgery, she was declining on grass in particular. I've said it before, and some people have disagreed with me, but I really see the big decline in her grass game as starting in 2006, after she'd that growth spurt -- even though she moved pretty well on most surfaces that year, her movement in her matches at Wimbledon against Pennetta and Mauresmo was noticeably worse than in previous years (some of those attempts to return Mauresmo slices were ).

I do agree with people who say her game is a very good fit for clay (I do still wonder if she's maybe a bit better on Plexicushion at her best though), because it's just beyond doubt at this point that surfaces that give her that little bit more time to set her feet right and have a full swing makes her a lot more comfortable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig. View Post
I totally agree and I noticed it too. Maria's movement on grass was never the same after 2005.
physique is really the core element of a player's game. 2-3 inch and 10-15lbs extra can make enourmous difference.
She had peaks, but not enough consistent to gain enough court-control and first-strike tennis that a tall (less mobile) player actually needs.
Clueless people can criticise her athletism, but cutting off 3 inch is close to impossible, and not everybody is so natural like Venus (and even she is shorter, also no surprise she had more success on faster courts).

clay can be really different, and as Peak VIP (sic) and Safina also showed, size means much less there.