TennisForum.com - View Single Post - SemiPova returns to flop in Doha. GSM Serena 6-3 6-2.

View Single Post

Old Feb 17th, 2013, 06:50 PM   #952
country flag jameshazza

jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute
Re: SemiPova returns to flop in Doha. GSM Serena 6-3 6-2.

Maria's current game is perfectly adapted to clay, she's only ever going to be vulnerable playing timidly and poorly against a BBB (see RG 2012 R4). That or if she plays Stosur/Li and a couple of others who are good on clay also as they are basically the only ones who can do anything against her if her is game is on on the surface.

In fact game wise the only weakness is that you can still exploit her movement to the FH side but I hope she masters the slide into it this season, and develops a legitimate FH slice.

EDIT: To elaborate, everything just suits her game on clay. She's more time to set up and the higher bounce is right in her strike zone so she can really lay into the ball and actually hit the lines unlike on hard, plus she takes advantage of the bounce, loading on the spin especially on her FH side. There were numerous points last year where her opponents were there in time to get the ball, the problem was it was almost over their head, plus it allows her to use heavy spin and pace while still giving herself good margin for error until the right opening comes meaning her balls can't be attacked while she doesn't risk needlessly over doing it. AND she uses angles on clay.

Also, this isn't aimed at anyone in here but the whole 'how the mighty have fallen' attitude from GM tards when we look forward to the clay never fails to amuse me. I love how that Maria is the best on clay, I always wanted her to maximize her game on it and it is only more impressive considering how she started off on the surface. Last season was surreal yes, but there's no shame in clay being Maria's best surface just because it didn't used to be.

Last edited by jameshazza : Feb 17th, 2013 at 07:23 PM.
jameshazza is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote