TennisForum.com - View Single Post - SemiPova returns to flop in Doha. GSM Serena 6-3 6-2.

View Single Post

Old Feb 17th, 2013, 06:36 PM   #950
country flag jameshazza

jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute
Re: SemiPova returns to flop in Doha. GSM Serena 6-3 6-2.

I agree with both dsanders and TheDawnTreader in a way.
I do think it was necessary for Maria to add more spin on to her shots after the 2010 horror days because she just didn't have the serve or the consistency to play that offensively. However, it is definitely hurting her in her matchup with Vika and Serena on hard. I mean every time she just hits a FH off a big shot of Serena's I'm semi-cringing waiting to see how high the ball will bounce, knowing it's gonna land right in the strike zone.

And what Pavstry said is also completely correct, it just makes it worse that she hits it deep and central. Maybe the added spin wouldn't be as much of an issue if she actually used the lines but she doesn't, no angles, no width. Everything goes central.

I do think it might be time for Thomas to try and flatten out the strokes again, she has the serve to set them up these days, plus I feel like she's so stranded mentally a lot of the time, her instinct is to attack but Thomas has given her a slightly more conservative game so she get's confused between instincts and practice. Never moving forward, letting a lot of balls bounce first instead of drive volley, completely backtracking from the net and stranding herself mid court. We've all seen her do this in every match.

I do think her current game style needs to stay for the clay, there are very few people who will be able to beat her if she plays well on it. But I don't get why they don't seem to realise, different surface different tactics. I do know Thomas has said to her numerous times 'where are the angles we practiced?' so maybe it's just down to Maria not doing as instructed but I don't believe that would happen in every single match she plays.

While serve, movement, FH, have all seemed to improve this season for the most part. I think there's been a stagnation tactics wise. Maria just simply does not have the movement to defend spin loaded shots on a hard court like Nadal does. I really hope he does get her to flatten out her shots again, I mean she was doing it last OG very well so she can do it, it would would wonders for the nonexistent BH DTL. Before it comes to that though, I want to see what effect actually implementing the angles and using width can do for her vs. Serena and Vika.

It's tough I don't want the BBB 2010 inconsistency off the ground but she's always gonna come off a very distant second to Rena away from clay these days. This Maria can still beat Vika on her good days but as we've seen in those matches too, she wins the points where she steps in and flattens it out.