TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Maria's problem against Serena Williams

View Single Post

Old Feb 17th, 2013, 02:18 PM   #10
country flag Tennisvampire

Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of
Re: Maria's problem against Serena Williams

I believe a huge problem is in Maria's head, but her game is also like tailor made for Serena. Because, basically Serena is a better version of Maria when it comes to styles. The difference obviously being greater serve, ability to redirect balls better and more pace on those balls. What annoys me is that Maria seems to be so stubborn, she doesn't change stuff, she just tries to improve things that she already has.

Problems in her ground strokes IMO:
1. FH is too inconsistent, she puts too much spin on it, has problem redirecting cross court FH when a faster ball comes to that side, usually sending a shorter, floppy, easy to attack ball
2. BHDTL is non-existent 75% of the time, so she becomes too predictable while she hammers those CC BHs
3. Her return is pretty up and down (usually down); still, her BH returns are a lot better than FH returns; and what I mind is that she is sometimes simply too aggressive on the second serve, which results in producing a lot of stupid UEs on slow, bad second services of her opponents. And when she is not hammering second serves, she just returns them to the middle, it's like there is no golden middle

She needs to learn what controlled aggression is!

Serve has been pretty good for her standards post-surgery, so I'll leave that one.

And what I would personally like to see (which is not going to happen) is going to the net more often. It has always been a mystery to me why she approaches it only when she has to, and why she always goes for the drive volleys, when she has displayed more than decent "regular" volleys in the past. Plus we've seen how much of a liability that "favorite" shot became. I mean all those easy putaways that she nowadays knows how to miss on a regular basis (or she of course hits straight at her opponent) could be secured points if she finished them off on the net.

I don't know, I just hope she can change something, because this style can only take you so far in the long run, it fares pretty bad against the best players, and shows signs of inconsistency even against players she should not have trouble against.

Sorry for the rant, I was just pissed off after another beatdown against Serena, where she has done absolutely nothing to try and change it around.

Jelena Jankovic-forever

NOVAK DJOKOVIC

Bouchard and Dimitrov-something will become of you

Last edited by Tennisvampire : Feb 17th, 2013 at 02:24 PM.
Tennisvampire is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote