TennisForum.com - View Single Post - SemiPova returns to flop in Doha. GSM Serena 6-3 6-2.

View Single Post

Old Feb 11th, 2013, 03:11 AM   #231
country flag domon17th

domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future
Re: GOATpova returns to stay undefeated in Doha. Maria has arrived|DRAWS OUT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsanders06 View Post
Yeah, really not. Obviously finesse is never going to be her strong point, but she can atleast occasionally hit a decent dropshot these days, which she never could've done in 04-06....she's always had an underrated lob though.
Gotta disagree. She's always capable of doing decent dropshots and dare-I-say, conventional volleys when she's not rushed. But knowing how dire her footwork is, especially when she's tired to prepare for these shots, she usually flops in the execution.

I think what I miss out of 04-06 Maria most, is the willingness to finish the points by coming into the net. Mostly her swing volleys, sometimes conventional volleys when absolutely necessary, and some sweet droppers and numerous flops when she's feeling creative

I love that she's conditioned herself so well now that she has the stamina and consistency to grind at the baseline, but I can't help thinking that it has instilled in her this false sense of security that she can fall back on out-grinding her opponents. It works on clay and against some of the lower ranked players, but she'll always have problems against Vika.
domon17th is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote