TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Single Greatest Shot of all time in Women's Tennis

View Single Post

Old Feb 10th, 2013, 08:06 PM   #39
country flag Sir Stefwhit

Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Single Greatest Shot of all time in Women's Tennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Start da Game View Post
yup, serving in general hit a peak in the 90s and early 00s and gone down after that because of changing priorities in tennis......past players were more renowned for finesse skills like their volleying, slicing, drop shots etc......

before 80s, serving was a mere formality of putting the ball in the opposite box......
Yeah I guess if u judge by 90's standard as the peak era for serving in the women's tour I agree that it has gone down. In the 90s we had:

Serena
Davenport
Steffi
Venus
Mauresmo
meghann shaughnessy
Brenda Schultz McCarthy
Seles (she came back a better server suprinsngly)
Samantha Stosur (she turned pro in 99, so I included her as well)

...did Mary Poerce and Capriatti have good serves?...lol. I can't remember. I know Capriti had issues w.double faults at one point but I can't remember ...but for some reason I want to include her and Pierce but I do so reluctantly...lol
The REAL GOAT Rafael Nadal
Future Inductees: Clijsters, C.Evert, A.Agassi, A.Berasategui, N. Zvereva, I.Majoli, M.Safin, Li Na, VIKA, and Del Potro
Sir Stefwhit is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote