TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Single Greatest Shot of all time in Women's Tennis

View Single Post

Old Feb 10th, 2013, 06:46 PM   #36
country flag Sir Stefwhit

Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Single Greatest Shot of all time in Women's Tennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shonami Slam View Post
serve should have an asteriks by it - since you control this shot more than any other shot in the game.
in that aspect, Graf's abbility to hit perfectly timed forehands is more impressive, and Nav's volley's the most intelligent of them. Henin's backhand is probably the shot that requires most self belief (returning a serena bomb single handedly is something that federer usualy volley's back. even momo, with a much stronger upper build, mostly chopped back stronger serves most of her peak years).

the evert pass, and i may raise alot of accusations here and life threats - wasn't as impressive. yes - she perfected it, but i have many reasons to believe the speed of play left her plenty of time to prepare for her shot. it was almost practice session quality shot.
I do agree somewhat that the serve is a different kind of shot than a shot hit in a rally. Nonetheless when we talk about greatest shots of all time I see no reason for any asterisk because it is a shot played in tennis and for that reason alone it is 100% comparable to any other great shot.

And while I also agree that because other shots are more influenced by the opponent than the serve is, one could look at Grafs forehand as more impressive. Impressive- yes, but greater, not quite... The 'greater' shot goes to the shot least influenced ...that actually aids in greatness IMO.

It's nice to have a poll where my all time two faves are dominating the polls- as rightfully they should be!
The REAL GOAT Rafael Nadal
Future Inductees: Clijsters, C.Evert, A.Agassi, A.Berasategui, N. Zvereva, I.Majoli, M.Safin, Li Na, VIKA, and Del Potro
Sir Stefwhit is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote