TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Single Greatest Shot of all time in Women's Tennis

View Single Post

Old Feb 10th, 2013, 07:33 PM   #33
country flag Start da Game

Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Single Greatest Shot of all time in Women's Tennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Stefwhit View Post
One point I'd like to make to counter your argument my fellow Rafa fan (I hope he wins today btw..)-

The technology argument is easy to overcome. The same technology that Serena has available is the same that Dementieva, Hingis, Azarenka, Sharapova- and every other woman playing tennis has available to them. If it was simply a matter of putting the right technology in your hands then everyone would be able to serve like Serena. So it can't be as simply as that.

Even if Serena was limited with technology her perfect toss, disguise on the serve, and placement would make it a weapon in any era. It's just like when they credit our Rafa's ability to generate and use so much spin on his forehand. They want to give 100% of the credit to the technology but fail to comment that the same technology exist for everyone so why don't the others incorporate spin to the degree that he does. (And to be honest our beloved Rafa benefits more from technology advances than Serena does IMO).
nice to meet a fellow rafa fan......rafa wouldn't be learning, practicing and playing the same way if he had to do it with a wooden racket......he has shown that he can mold his game according to surface requirements......that's why he peaked on different surfaces at different times......so their argument is flawed......

federer and djokovic benefited more than rafa from the modern rackets......they peaked at a single time on all surfaces and exhibited generic brand of tennis and could not change their game much when challenged......

all that tells me that nadal would be better adapted to other eras and technologies more than the other two......let's not forget that tennis is 90% mental......

as for women, agreed that serena leads the serving pack by a country mile despite all the players having access to modern rackets......but what we forget is that other aspects of tennis have taken priority over the serve and that is one of the main reasons why serve in women's tennis today has been reduced to a mere rally starting mechanism......

by the same argument they could say that serve was a major priority in the previous decades and groundstrokes din't yet evolve but what we forget once again is that limited racket technology din't allow them to invest more on groundstrokes......it was not thought to be a rewarding practice than serving, volleying and finesse tennis......

serena is still in the poll because of her greatness of having overcome the groundstroke influence in the sport and establishing herself as a great server......

steffi is in the poll for a similar reason plus a few more reasons......

where i am getting at is, modern players have more options today and we have to decide who in the history could adapt best to which aspects of the sport......

enlighten yourself...
Start da Game is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote