TennisForum.com - View Single Post - 1983

Thread: 1983
View Single Post

Old Feb 9th, 2013, 06:39 PM   #69
country flag Ms. Anthropic

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all
Re: 1983

TURNBULL WINS TO END BOSTON DRY SPELL
The Miami Herald
Tuesday, March 22, 1983
ASSOCIATED PRESS

Veteran Wendy Turnbull says she has lost count of the number of times she has entered Boston tennis tournaments and come up short.

But the 30-year-old Australian grabbed the net early and often Sunday to end the dry spell with a 6-4, 3-6, 6-4 victory over Sylvia Hanika of West Germany in the final of the $150,000 Virginia Slims of Boston tennis tournament.

"I wanted to be the one attacking the net, make her hit the passing shots," said Turnbull, who finished second in Boston last year and upset Tracy Austin Saturday night to make it to the final round.

"When it really counted, I concentrated well and I was aggressive in the right games. I put the pressure on Sylvia at 3-all in the third set ... and she was not able to hold serve," Turnbull said after the see-saw match with Hanika.

The two players offered a classic matchup of styles. Turnbull, a one-time Boston Lobster on the team-tennis circuit, was steadier and dominated the match when she grabbed center court. The more powerful Hanika, 23, took charge when she had enough time to set up her zooming backhand passing shots at the baseline.

"She is more effective when she has that extra second, a split-second to set up for it [the backhand]," Turnbull said. "When you've got her running, she doesn't have that much choice."

Brian Teacher won the WCT Indoor event in Munich, beating fellow American Mark Dickson, 1-6, 6-4, 6-2, 6-3 ... Gene Mayer upset top-seeded Guillermo Vilas of Argentina, 6-1, 7-6, to win the Rotterdam Grand Prix event. Mayer's victory was his first over Vilas and gave him his first 1983 title ... Top-seeded Rod Laver captured the Foster Lager event for older players with a 6-3, 1-6, 7-5 victory over Ken Rosewall at Naples, Fla.
Ms. Anthropic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote