TennisForum.com - View Single Post - 1983

Thread: 1983
View Single Post

Old Feb 9th, 2013, 07:38 PM   #68
country flag Ms. Anthropic

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all
Re: 1983

TURNBULL WINS TITLE IN BOSTON
Philadelphia Daily News
Monday, March 21, 1983
United Press International

Wendy Turnbull used a variety of serves and accurate volleys yesterday to defeat Sylvia Hanika, 6-4, 3-6, 6-4, in the finals of a $150,000 women's tennis tournament.

Turnbull, 30, was runner-up in the same tournament last year. As in her semifinal match against Tracy Austin, Turnbull dominated the first set, appeared tentative in her shot selection and execution in the second, and then returned to form for the third set and the win.

Hanika, who has now gained the finals in four tournaments since the beginning of the year and lost all four, said in a post-match interview, ''Wendy keeps the ball very deep and her slices are very flat, which on this court makes it difficult for me to play my game."

The match was played on a carpet surface at Boston Garden before 5,247 spectators.

Turnbull, who earned $28,000 for her victory, had lost to Hanika in their last two meetings. "But I learned from our match in San Francisco and I saw how Billy Jean (King) served to her last night, so I tried to take some of the pace off my serve to her backhand," Turnbull said.

The strategy worked as the heavy-set Hanika had difficulty with the varied pace and placement.

Turnbull, who said she "concentrated very well when it counted," also tried to prevent Hanika from setting up on her groundstrokes.

In the first set, the two women each broke the other's serve once during the first nine games, but Turnbull broke Hanika again in the 10th game to win the set.

Turnbull's fatigue from the 12:15 a.m. conclusion of her match against Austin began to show in the second set, when she made many more unforced errors and was not placing the ball as deeply. Hanika also began to pass Turnbull more easily at net.

The two women each held serve through the first six games of the third set before Turnbull, ranked sixth in the world, attained the sole service break of the set.

Hanika said she believed the turning point of the match was when she had double-break point on Turnbull's serve in the second game of the second set but could not win it.

"I lost that and I just let it go," she said.

Turnbull, of Australia, who suffered from tennis elbow last year, said she is enjoying competition more now.

"When I had the elbow problem I realized how much I enjoyed playing. Still, after coming here to Boston for so long, it's just nice to win."

Hanika received $14,000 for second place.
Ms. Anthropic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote