TennisForum.com - View Single Post - 1983

Thread: 1983
View Single Post

Old Feb 9th, 2013, 06:36 PM   #64
country flag Ms. Anthropic

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all
Re: 1983

NAVRATILOVA WHIPS EVERT, 6-2, 6-0
The Miami Herald
Monday, March 28, 1983
From Herald Wire Services

Martina Navratilova, again proving herself without peer in women's tennis, swept through the last 10 games to stun Chris Evert Lloyd, 6-2, 6-0, Sunday in the final of the $350,000 Virginia Slims Championship of New York.

Navratilova now has won the singles and doubles titles of all five tournaments she has played this year. She has won 27 straight matches since losing to Evert in the Australian Open final, and has won 114 of her last 117 matches.

Navratilova, 26, earned $80,000 for winning the singles plus another $15,000 for her doubles victory Saturday. That brought her career earnings to $5,161,059.

"Martina cleaned my clock today," said Evert, who only a day earlier had talked of her aspirations of reclaiming the world's No. 1 ranking. "I hope that this was one of her better matches. It had better be."

Navratilova moved extremely well and was particularly effective at the net, managing to return just about everything that Evert sent at her. By midway through the second set, it appeared that Evert had just lost hope, and she double faulted twice in the fourth game, the second one coming at break point.

In all, Evert managed only 15 points in the second set and bowed out in 64 minutes.

"I didn't expect it to be that quick," Navratilova said. "My coach, Renee Richards, prepared me for a two-hour match.

"There was no reason for me not to be confident. I've been playing well, and I had my confidence."

Evert managed to make a match of it only for the first five games, and the fifth game may have been the turning point. Evert had a triple break point, but was unable to capitalize as Navratilova won the next five points and held service with a lob.

Navratilova then broke in the next game at 15 when Evert sent a backhand into the net; Navratilova didn't lose another game.

In the second set, Evert could reach deuce only once on Navratilova's serve and otherwise never threatened to break.

Evert, who earned $45,000, leads, 30-22, in a series that started in 1973, but Navratilova has won 11 of the last 16 meetings.

Sylvia Hanika defeated Billie Jean King, 6-1, 7-6 (7-5), in the consolation match. King broke service in the 12th game of the second set to force the tie- break, but her West German opponent took an early lead in the tie-break and managed to hold on.

Ivan Lendl, the No. 1-ranked player in the world, won a third set tie-breaker after spoiling four match points to defeat unseeded South African Kevin Curren in the final of the Cuore Tennis Cup at Milan, Italy.

Lendl, 23, won, 5-7, 6-3, 7-6 (7-4). He earned $70,000 and took a lead of almost 300 points in the over-all standings of the Volvo Grand Prix circuit.

Sunday's victory brought Lendl back to the top after a string of disappointing early-round eliminations in recent tournaments.

Lendl had six double faults and 10 aces in the match at the sold-out indoor Sports Palace of Milan. It was his fifth victory in five matches with Curren.

Curren earned $35,000.

Bjorn Borg, appearing in his last tournament before retiring at the age of 26, didn't get much help from his wife Mariana during the draw for the Monte Carlo Grand Prix.

Mariana, invited to draw Borg's opening opponent in the $360,000 clay-court tournament, selected third-seeded Jose-Luis Clerc of Argentina for the first-round match today at the Monte Carlo Country Club.

Borg is a member of the Monte Carlo club and entered the 32-man tournament on a wild card.
Ms. Anthropic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote