TennisForum.com - View Single Post - 1983

Thread: 1983
View Single Post

Old Feb 9th, 2013, 06:35 PM   #63
country flag Ms. Anthropic

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all
Re: 1983

NAVRATILOVA, EVERT MEET TODAY IN FINAL
The Miami Herald
Sunday, March 27, 1983
From Herald Wire Services

Martina Navratilova and Chris Evert Lloyd, the first and second seeds, advanced to today's final of the $350,000 Virginia Slims Championships of New York with quick, decisive victories Saturday.

Navratilova needed only 55 minutes to beat West Germany's Sylvia Hanika, 6-1, 6-1, and Evert polished off Billie Jean King, 6-1, 6-1, in 54 minutes.

The champion of this tournament, the world's richest for women, will earn $80,000, with $45,000 going to the runnerup. Hanika and King will battle for the $25,000 third-place prize, with fourth place worth $20,000.

Before Saturday's semifinals, Navratilova said she lacked no confidence, despite the fact that Hanika was one of only three players to beat her last year (Evert and Pam Shriver were the other two). Hanika rallied from 0-40 to hold serve in the match's first game but won only two points over the next two games.

"I knew I was going to break her serve more than she was going to break mine, so I was not afraid," Navratilova said.

King, 39, got her chance to play Evert by using an aggressive serve-and-volley game to beat Andrea Jaeger and Barbara Potter. But Saturday, Evert played her steady baseline game to near-perfection, winning with passing shots almost every time King charged the net.

Evert has a career 30-21 advantage on Navratilova going into today's final, but Navratilova has won 10 of their last 15 matches since early 1980, including two this year.

"She owes me one more than I owe her," Navratilova said. "Always in the past, with Chris we've had great matches. You don't need extra incentive."

Evert added, "For those who think it's an unfriendly rivalry, it's not. It's a friendly rivalry, but in the back of each other's minds she feels I'm her big rival and I think she's my big rival."

Tennis

Top-seeded Ivan Lendl of Czechoslovakia struggled to beat American Chip Hooper, 6-7 (5-7), 7-5, 6-2, in the semifinals of the $365,000 Cuore Cup in Milan, Italy. In today's final, Lendl will play South African Kevin Curren, who downed American Bill Scanlon, 6-4, 7-6 (9-7). First prize is $70,000 ... Spain's Manuel Orantes and Sweden's Henrik Sundstrom reached today's final of a $75,000 men's tournament in Nice, France. In the semifinals, Orantes beat Fernando Luna, 6-2, 6-2, and Sundstrom defeated Mario Martinez, 7-5, 6-2 ... Bjorn Borg will play his in last pro tournament this week in the $300,000 Monte Carlo Open, which will begin Monday. Borg agreed to play in Monaco, where he lives, to gain exemption from taxes.
Ms. Anthropic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote