TennisForum.com - View Single Post - News and updates about Victoria Azarenka

View Single Post

Old Feb 7th, 2013, 10:10 AM   #618
country flag ozza

ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute
Re: News and updates about Victoria Azarenka

From Jon Wertheim's mailbag for Sports Illustrated.

Quote:
Q: Did you know you had this in you? Or did you surprise yourself with how you came through?
A: In a way, yes. In another way, I was just being me, not thinking, "What do I have to do to prove myself?" I was just being myself. ... Everything in life teaches you a lesson. It's not ironic, "What doesn't kill makes you stronger." You know the song? I always try with everything bad to take the positive out of it. At that moment it might be, "What looks positive about this?" But after a while you realize, you convince yourself it's the right thing to do. I just try to stay positive and I guess I'm pretty tough.

Q: When match point ended, you kissed your crucifix before you went to the net. What role does faith play in your career?
A: Well, I'm Orthodox. Everyone has their own religion, their own faith on certain levels. I believe in God. I believe God makes you stronger. But I also believe in being a good person, making everyone happy.

Q: What does popularity mean to you?
A: A lot of work. It takes a lot of work. I never think of myself as a popular person. I just think of myself as a regular person, a fan of music and movies. I saw Robert De Niro and was shaking. I don't think, "Oh, I'm also a little bit popular." I just enjoy those moments on the spotlight and seeing people react. It's a privilege and I can never take it for granted.

Q: Do you feel hurt that public perception might be -- that you're not the person people might be reading about or seeing on TV?
A: I think it was a little unfair. But I always give people the benefit of the doubt. Maybe nobody gave me that. ... I think it's my job also to show my personality.
ozza is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote