TennisForum.com - View Single Post - "Every generation is better than the previous one. The game is always evolving"

View Single Post

Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 12:08 AM   #73
country flag binky-GOAT

binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of
Re: "Every generation is better than the previous one. The game is always evolving"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsanders06 View Post
I came across an article a few days ago which quoted either Stephens herself or someone close to her, saying that she WAS focussing more on trying to generate topspin rather than trying to produce as much raw pace as possible (though up til now, it doesn't look like that approach is bearing much fruit, seeing as the amount of spin she's creating atm is innocuous compared to Stosur).

But anyway, in answer to Williamsova, I'm assuming topspin will become more prevalent in the women's game simply because, as I said, the women's game has always followed the trends of the men's game, and heavy use of topspin has become commonplace in the men's game in recent years But, just because Stosur and perhaps in the future Stephens, among others, will have pioneered this particular thing, that does not in itself mean they would be better players than Serena, or any other past great players, nor does it mean the monstrous flat-hitters of Serena, Venus and Sharapova would not hypothetically be able to beat the topspin players that will be dominating in 10 years' time.
If there is a player with a good top-spin game in the future, trust me flat hitters of today will not even come close to beating them.

Stosur is a horrible example but at the same time an excellent example. She is an error machine with a horrible technique and talent. But at the same time she was able to get into Top 10 just because she can play a top-spin game even at a low level.

Same goes with other top-spin players in womens tour, like Schiavone, CSN, Kuznetsova etc. They are not great by any means at their own games.

----------------------

Flat hitters of today rely on pace of shot from their opponent so they can deflect it. But a player who can produce spin can generate insane angles with minimum of risk, which would be a nightmare for tall flat hitters running side to side
binky-GOAT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote