TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Rape and how societies react

View Single Post

Old Feb 2nd, 2013, 11:02 PM   #344
country flag *JR*

*JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Violence against women, including rape

Quote:
(CNN) "I thought of reporting him to military police and to the district attorney, but this was going to mark me as a scorned woman," Yildirim said, according to the source. "Since I was going to get a bad reputation I decided to clean my honor and acted on killing him. I thought of suicide a lot but couldn't do it."
Yildirim said she was worried people would judge her children because of what happened, the source said. "Now no one can call my children bastards," she said, according to the source. "I cleaned my honor. Everyone will call them the children of the woman who cleaned her honor."
Thank you for giving more than the previous snippet, which I thus analyzed conditionally, as in "seems to have happened". But she still carried out her own "honor killing", in fact using the very word, if the translation is accurate. And from the far more detailed CNN story, it seems that she was only driven to forcefully defend herself when she realized she couldn't abort, not earlier.

For example, she could have shot him with that gun months earlier when he was outside or entering her house, assuming the timeline is accurate. I have sympathy for someone who was victimized like her (especially as she might have been arrested for adultery if she'd reported the first incident to the authorities). But unlike poor Jyoti in India, Yildrim seems like the wrong "poster woman".

YUG flag, because it never should have split up.
*JR* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote