TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Chris Evert Thread

View Single Post

Old Feb 2nd, 2013, 04:54 AM   #2258
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Chris Evert Thread

Quote:
Thanks for answering. I see your point and I'd forgotten that Chris had got married so closely to her loss to Austin. Probably the title 'Queen of Clay' isn't the right phrase I had in mind. What I meant to say was if we had to summarise just the spring clay results of 1979, who would that section of the year belong to seeing as they both won 2 titles etc as I mentioned before. With that in mind, would you still say that Evert's clay season of just 79, ignoring the wider perspective, was better?
Overall I would rank Austin at #2 for 1979 and Chris at #3. And pretty clearly Tracy's win in Rome was history making. What a pity only about 1,500 saw the match.

Despite that I would still declare Chris the Queen of Clay for 1979. Important as Rome was, plus Austin going unbeaten on clay for 1979, the French was still THE one to win. Tracy skipped the French of course, but that's hardly Chris's fault.
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote