TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Chris Evert Thread

View Single Post

Old Feb 1st, 2013, 11:42 PM   #2256
country flag Jakebfletch

Jakebfletch is just really nice Jakebfletch is just really nice Jakebfletch is just really nice Jakebfletch is just really nice Jakebfletch is just really nice Jakebfletch is just really nice Jakebfletch is just really nice Jakebfletch is just really nice Jakebfletch is just really nice Jakebfletch is just really nice Jakebfletch is just really nice
Re: Chris Evert Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by daze11 View Post
Tracy beating Chris 7-6 in the 3rd isn't really too definitive, especially as Chris had just gotten married to John Lloyd that month and was a tad distracted (Chris beat Dianne Fromholtz of Australia 8-6 in the 3rd on clay in the finals the week prior, so she was teetering on a loss there as well!) ~ Still, it was impressive certainly for Tracy to be the one to do it. I think that the fact Chris won ANOTHER 60+ matches in a row on clay after that 7-6 loss means we can't quite pass the clay baton to Tracy.

All of Tracy's major career victories came on hard court, so if she was Queen anywhere, it was probably there.
Thanks for answering. I see your point and I'd forgotten that Chris had got married so closely to her loss to Austin. Probably the title 'Queen of Clay' isn't the right phrase I had in mind. What I meant to say was if we had to summarise just the spring clay results of 1979, who would that section of the year belong to seeing as they both won 2 titles etc as I mentioned before. With that in mind, would you still say that Evert's clay season of just 79, ignoring the wider perspective, was better?
Jakebfletch is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote