TennisForum.com - View Single Post - "Every generation is better than the previous one. The game is always evolving"

View Single Post

Old Feb 1st, 2013, 04:45 AM   #22
moby

moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute
Re: "Every generation is better than the previous one. The game is always evolving"

The average college math major knows more math than Archimedes. Does that that make them better mathematicians?
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." - Newton

Obviously Serena plays very formidable tennis now (or rather at her peak), but do you think she would have that same game if Evert, Navratilova, Graf, Seles didn't come before her? What if she were playing in the early 90s as a contemporary of Graf and Seles? Would the Williamses have reined in their aggressive games if Legend Wingis didn't make them pay for their unforced errors in their formative years?

Like Serena, Evert-Navratilova-Graf all played roughly against 3 generations of tennis (except in their dotage they had to play against actual greats-to-be, and not Generation Suck) and came out on top a lot. That's all anyone can do, really.
Love long has taken for his amulet/One perfect rose.
Why is it no one ever sent me yet/One perfect limousine, do you suppose?
Ah no, it's always just my luck to get/One perfect rose.

Last edited by moby : Feb 1st, 2013 at 04:55 AM.
moby is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote