TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Chris Evert Thread

View Single Post

Old Feb 1st, 2013, 02:29 AM   #2255
country flag daze11

daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Chris Evert Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakebfletch View Post
I was just chatting with someone about 1979 and we were debating who we think should be crowned Queen of Clay for that year, between Chris and Tracy Austin. Chris won the French Open and Vienna, in the absence of Austin. Austin won Hilton Head and Rome, infamously snapping Evert's 125 match winning streak on clay, as well as beating the likes of Goolagong, Reid, Jausovec and Ruzici to win the titles. They also both helped the US win the Fed Cup on clay in Spain that spring too, so what do you think? Should we weight the French Open heavier or go with Austin's more impressive wins? Who was the Queen of Clay 1979?
Tracy beating Chris 7-6 in the 3rd isn't really too definitive, especially as Chris had just gotten married to John Lloyd that month and was a tad distracted (Chris beat Dianne Fromholtz of Australia 8-6 in the 3rd on clay in the finals the week prior, so she was teetering on a loss there as well!) ~ Still, it was impressive certainly for Tracy to be the one to do it. I think that the fact Chris won ANOTHER 60+ matches in a row on clay after that 7-6 loss means we can't quite pass the clay baton to Tracy.

All of Tracy's major career victories came on hard court, so if she was Queen anywhere, it was probably there.
daze11 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote