TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6

View Single Post

Old Jan 28th, 2013, 10:01 PM   #540
country flag terjw

terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by marineblue View Post
Don't forget those 2 well-timed MTOs that Kuz took on her way to this pyrrhic victory. I agree about the wasted 1st set though. It just slipped through Caro's hands and even though she then won the following set I never had the feeling she was on the way to win the entire match.
As for Kuz game, she did so much better at the net. This is one of the things that Caro should really improve, she never came up with effective defense to stop Kuznetsova when she went to the net. No good passing shots or lobs to save her life
Yes the play at the net was the most marked difference between them. I don't think there was so much difference between them on the serve. The stats of serve give an edge to Sveta - but it's not much. But Sveta definitely was brilliant at the net. I remember a point in the 3rd set that Sveta missed at the net and I was quite shocked and relieved because I couldn't remember her missing anything there up till then. Caro had some points she was in control of the point and by rights were hers but where she was unable to control the point to win it at the net. I actually think Caro did improve quite a lot at the net until about a year ago but has now slipped back in that area.

I still think that playing doubles could help Caro with her netplay

Just checked the stats on netplay and serves:
On net points won: Sveta was 23/25=92%, Caro was 8/19=42%.
Incidentally against Vika
On net points won: Sveta was 11/12=92% Vika was 11/22=50% at the net.
And on serves won: Caro won 53/95=55.8%, Sveta was 57/96=59.3%.
Caro's 2nd serve % was only 15/33=45% and that has always been an achilles heel but she got a greater % of 1st serves in than Sveta.

Chris Evert, Steffi Graf, Kim Clijsters
terjw is offline View My Blog!