TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Best match of ALL-TIME? (Poll included!)

View Single Post

Old Jan 28th, 2013, 01:16 PM   #38
Olórin

Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Best match of ALL-TIME? (Poll included!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by renstar View Post
The op has to be a Williams fan to put any Williams sisters final in the list at all, they were the most boring of tedious affairs.
Not really. The 2003 AO Final was a high quality and compelling affair and many pundits with more knowledge of the game than you rate the Wimbledon Final 2008 as an excellent match.

Neither is candidate for greatest match of all time of course, but neither are most Grand Slam Finals.

Off the top of my head the only Slam Finals I'd rate as candidates for best match ever are:
2005 Wimbledon Final
1996 French Open Final
1992 French Open Final
1987 French Open Final (imo, never heard anyone else rate this match)
1985 French Open Final
1981 Australian Open Final
1976 Wimbledon Final
1974 US Open Final
1973 US Open Final
1970 Wimbledon Final
I haven't seen any full matches earlier than that to make a judgement.

Since the 1990's the best matches at the slams have invariable come at the QF or SF stages and of course we are getting more "classic" early round matches than ever before.

Last edited by Olórin : Jan 28th, 2013 at 01:27 PM.
Olórin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote