TennisForum.com - View Single Post - AO13: So would you say the women's final was more enjoyable than the men's?

View Single Post

Old Jan 28th, 2013, 06:35 AM   #35
country flag Patrick345

Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: AO13: So would you say the women's final was more enjoyable than the men's?

I think the 3rd set between Vika and Na Li was actually pretty good tennis, but at that stage everybody was so soaked into the match by all the ankles, concussions, crowd behaviour and fireworks that it was hard to pay any attention to the quality. All you wanted was the "right" outcome in your mind. Nevertheless

Wertheim made a good point for once in his 50 thoughts:

[...]

• This will fall on deaf ears. It always does. But at some point a responsible, unconflicted adult (anyone? anyone?) will address injury-mania. The year is less than a month old, and the litany of injuries is already growing. Nadal -- knee/illness. Andrea Petkovic -- knee. Isner -- knee. Robson -- back injury. Hampton -- back. Kerber -- back. Kevin Anderson -- elbow. Baker -- knee. Serena -- ankle. The women's final resembled a UFC cagefight. This doesn't include the welter of players (including juniors) you see marching through the tunnels, bandaged and swathed in ice. After his interminable third-round match, Gilles Simon wasn't able to get from the court to the locker room under his own power. And he won!

Yes, injuries are part of sports. Yes, it's a physical endeavor. But something is seriously wrong when, four weeks into the season, the players are already yelling "medic!" Is it hard courts? Is it the polyester strings? Is it runaway racket technology? Is it the lack of standardized balls? Is it the rigor of five sets, which, I still maintain is both anachronistic and sadistic? Is it overtraining?

I don't know. But I know this: if I were in a position of power, I'd be a lot more concerned about the work conditions than the current leaders, such as they are, appear to be. And if I were an athlete competing without a guaranteed contract, I'd be more concerned with work conditions than per diems and courtesy cars.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/ten...#ixzz2JFl4X425
[...]

So if you want better quality, you need to change the schedule, the balls and the surface.
Quiet. 24 SLAMS.
Patrick345 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote