TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6

View Single Post

Old Jan 27th, 2013, 03:23 PM   #529
country flag terjw

terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlox View Post
Its more than win or lose. I thought Caroline played a weak 1st set.
I've seen this so often now, where Caroline starts a big match like she's not ready. She did that a year ago vs Kim. Against Kanepi she was down 16 15!!
Begu 26 26. She gave Sveta the 1st set without a fight. Vika was down 14 and fought back and Sveta lost 11 of the last 13 games. She lost in 2 to Kerber also.
Caroline has to fight it out the whole match. She doesnt anymore. Maybe mentally, she cant do it anymore.
Once players like Ivanovic or Sveta or Kanepi are up a set, they have a lot more fight in them. Especially against someone who seems like they fell off a cliff mentally. They all see what we see. That Caro is not the mentally tough player she used to be.

We disagree, but its one match. Lets see if she can become a contender at these next 4 hardcourt Premiers/Mandatories.

One thing Caroline has: is time. If she can slowly get back into the mix at the elite level, opportunities (like Vika just took advantage of) will be there
I agree that of the 3 sets - the 1st set was her weakest. She really shouldn't have lost that 3rd game to go 1-2 and then she couldn't get it back. With the overall level Caro played - I haven't mentioned that because it seemed a bit over picky and the whole match overall was much better than I've been used to. Also Sveta played pretty well in the 1st set after that 3rd game in the 1st set. She pretty well got most of her UEs in the 1st set out the way in those 1st 3 games so her game was working well for her.

I think with the slow starts that this ties up with how her opponents think going into a match. They think they can beat her and they play well. I remember Caro's matches with JJ when JJ had such a good record against Caro. JJ always went into the lead and Caro pegged it back. So yes - there's always room for improvement there. But I'd settle for Caro making 23 winners to 22 UEs every match right now against opponents who are tough for her rather than how she has been playing most of the time.

And you are absolutely right about the importance of the next 4 hardcourt Premiers/Mandatories. I'd like her to go into those tournaments with an attitude of improving but also a positive frame of mind that she can play well and has played well from the match. She did it then so it's not impossible for her. And try to keep the positives of that match and not let that drop with tons of UEs and nothing to compensate for them.

Chris Evert, Steffi Graf, Kim Clijsters

Last edited by terjw : Jan 27th, 2013 at 03:35 PM.
terjw is offline View My Blog!