TennisForum.com - View Single Post - NYT Q&A with Stacey Allaster on medical timeouts, doping, more

View Single Post

Old Jan 27th, 2013, 06:40 AM   #4
tennnisfannn

tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute
Re: NYT Q&A with Stacey Allaster on medical timeouts, doping, more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennis Fool View Post
Q. and A. With the WTAís Stacey Allaster

Q.
Still, consecutive medical timeouts are very unusual.

A.
For sure. I donít have the details on that. I just know the medical experts followed the medical timeout according to the rules, but certainly there is always something that happens in a situation like this. And the supervisors will have a debrief after a Slam to review it. Does something need to be modified for the future? Weíll see. On the WTA, we obviously have different rules. We put a limit on the number of medical timeouts you could have in a calendar year in the WTA. Itís six and if they need more, they pay a fee, and thereís nothing like attaching monetary deterrent to an athlete because they donít want to pay so we actually saw a reduction in our medical timeouts once we instituted our rule a couple years ago.

http://straightsets.blogs.nytimes.co...E3D7B6132431C5
Imagine asking that players pay like 1000 to get that extra medical attention. 1000 for the likes of Serena/Maria/Li etc is not the same for the much lower ranked opponents. This does nothing for the top players, if they go that path- shouldn't be a percentage of their earnings?