TennisForum.com - View Single Post - AO 2013: The Bridesmaid-Bride Double. The Sequel.

View Single Post

Old Jan 26th, 2013, 07:22 PM   #2430
country flag SilverSlam
I-G-G-Y

SilverSlam has a reputation beyond repute SilverSlam has a reputation beyond repute SilverSlam has a reputation beyond repute SilverSlam has a reputation beyond repute SilverSlam has a reputation beyond repute SilverSlam has a reputation beyond repute SilverSlam has a reputation beyond repute SilverSlam has a reputation beyond repute SilverSlam has a reputation beyond repute SilverSlam has a reputation beyond repute SilverSlam has a reputation beyond repute
Re: AO 2013: The Bridesmaid-Bride Double. The Sequel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexicola View Post
It's incredible how the most mentally fragile headcase on tour went from that to a mental rock in less than two years. Azarenka just never wilts under pressure any more. She could've crumbled against Hampton, Stephens, and Li and she just refused. I don't know if she got psychological help or if she just flipped a switch and became Ms. Unshakable Confidence. But that's something that's incredibly hard to do in sports. Mastering and controlling what goes on in your own head, especially when you have an estabished history of melting down and choking. But she did it.

And I still don't see greatness with her game. She remains the one tennis player who's success baffles me because every time I watch her, I see a very beatable player.
I was thinking about what I'd call her gamestyle earlier, and she almost is just a aggressive pusher. She has great defence and court speed, and she uses her awareness on the court to manoeuvre her opponents to be stretched out enough so the big hitters can't get big cuts on the ball. She's also aggressive enough to beat the lesser girls easily. In 2009 I saw her as a BBB, but she's changed herself to become essentially a powerful Wozniacki.