TennisForum.com - View Single Post - 1983

Thread: 1983
View Single Post

Old Jan 25th, 2013, 07:17 PM   #52
country flag Ms. Anthropic

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all
Re: 1983

NAVRATILOVA RIPS EVERT
The Miami Herald
Monday, March 14, 1983
From Herald Wire Services

In their first official tournament showdown of the year, No. 1-ranked Martina Navratilova still had No. 2-ranked Chris Evert Lloyd's number Sunday.

Navratilova earned her fifth consecutive Virginia Slims of Dallas title with a 6-4, 6-0 rout of Evert that took only 77 minutes.

"I didn't feel that I played well," said Navratilova, who beat Evert in three of four tournament matches last year. "I played at about 75 per cent of my potential."

She added, "I guess the people are getting tired of seeing me win here. Well, that's fine with me. It makes me feel good, particularly against an opponent like Chris."

Evert lost her biggest chance with the first set tied four- all and Navratilova down, 5-40, on her serve.

"I had my chances right there but I didn't play aggressively enough and let her win the game," Evert said. "I have no excuses. I learned some things about Martina's game today."

Navratilova won nine straight games to close out the match.

"This [indoors] is her best surface," said Evert. "It's different outdoors. She lets little things bother her. She plays her best under controlled conditions."

Navratilova, who beat Evert in an exhibition match a week ago that didn't count in the point standings, has won 21 consecutive matches this year.

The $30,000 first-place money boosted Navratilova's earnings to $132,500 for the year. Evert, making her first Dallas appearance in five years, won $15,000 to bring her year's total to $42,500.

Evert uncharacteristically came to the net to try to rattle Navratilova, but the strategy failed as she committed errors on half of her volleys.

Evert is 30-21 lifetime in tournament matches against Navratilova but has lost 10 of their last 13 meetings.

An estimated crowd of 13,000 at Moody Stadium watched the first meeting of the year between the two women stars. * * *

Fifth-seeded Peter McNamara of Australia upset top-seeded Ivan Lendl of Czechoslovakia, 6-4, 4-6, 7-6 (7-4), in the final of the $315,000 Belgian Grand Prix in Brussels.

McNamara won a two-hour 50-minute match in which Lendl pulled a groin muscle early in the second set and appeared on the verge of defaulting.

From the beginning of the match, the 27-year-old McNamara was the favorite of the capacity crowd, which chanted his name at key points.

"The crowd is really the reason I won the match," McNamara said. "I got real excited in the tiebreaker. I don't think I have ever been that excited in my life."

McNamara earned $50,000, and Lendl received $25,000 as runnerup.

Despite the groin injury, Lendl said he never thought about giving up. "Peter played unbelievable today. He was not missing any balls. He very much deserved to win," Lendl said.

It was only the second loss for Lendl in his last 72 indoor matches. * * *

Unseeded Nick Saviano upset fellow American Chip Hooper, 6-4, 4-6, 6-3, in the final of the $75,000 Lorraine SNVP Open Volvo Grand Prix in Nancy, France. Saviano won $15,000. Hooper, the No. 3 seed, earned $7,500 ... Ginny Purdy of Indianapolis defeated Claudia Monteiro of Brazil, 6-2, 7-5, in the final of the $50,000 Ginny of Pittsburgh tournament. It marked Purdy's first professional tour title, but the 16-year-old turned down the $7,000 winner's check because she competed as an amateur ... Sweden's Henrik Sundstrom, 19, won the $50,000 Tunis (Tunisia) Open 83 with a 6-4, 6-2 victory over Thierry Tulsane of France ... South Africa's Cliff Drysdale upset top- seeded Rod Laver, 6-4, 6-2, to capture a $35,000 tournament at the Registry Resort in Scottsdale, Ariz. The victory earned Drysdale $10,000; Laver picked up $6,000.
Ms. Anthropic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote