TennisForum.com - View Single Post - 1983

Thread: 1983
View Single Post

Old Jan 25th, 2013, 07:15 PM   #51
country flag Ms. Anthropic

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all
Re: 1983

NAVRATILOVA, EVERT COAST TO WINS
The Miami Herald
Thursday, March 10, 1983
UNITED PRESS INTERNATIONAL

Defending champion and top-seed Martina Navratilova and second- seed Chris Evert-Lloyd had few problems winning their first round matches in the $150,000 Virginia Slims championships.

Navratilova took only 50 minutes Tuesday to eliminate Sue Barker of England, 6-1, 6-2, despite a surge by Barker in the last game of the first set. Barker bounced back to deuce seven times before finally bowing. She took another victory on her first serve of the second set to tie the match, but Navratilova perservered, charging the net to take the next three games.

"My game is at a higher stage this year than it was at this time last year," Navratilova said. "My backhand is a lot better. I'm finally feeling better about it and I'm adding a few shots to my game and mixing up my serves."

Evert barely worked up a sweat in her 6-1, 6-0 triumph over 43rd-ranked Mary Lou Piatek.

Piatek's only success came in the third game of the first first set when she battled back from a 2-0 deficit to capture the next four points. However, Evert was taking her time, pounding shots from the baseline. At one point in the second set, Evert won 11 straight points.

Third-seed Pam Shriver beat Alycia Moulton of Sacramento, Calif., 6-3, 6-4. Shriver meets Wendy White in the second round, while Navratilova plays Ann Kiyomura and Evert plays West German Eva Pfaff.

In other first-round matches, sixth-seeded Hana Mandlikova, ranked eighth in the world, tripped up Diane Fromholtz, 6-4, 6-4, and seventh-seeded Bettina Bunge, ranked ninth in the world, eliminated Rosalyn Fairbank, 6-0, 6-2.

West German Claudia Kohde came back after losing the first game 6-3 to beat Kathy Jordan in the next two games, 6-2, 6-2. Kohde meets Jo Durie, who eliminated eighth-seeded Kathy Rinaldi in her first round match.

Yvonne Vernaak had little trouble beating qualifier Marcella Skuherski 6-4, 6-1. Vernaak meets fourth-seed Wendy Turnbull in the second round.

Anne Kiyomura won a tie-breaker in her first game before eliminating Sabina Simmonds, 7-6 (7-3), 6-3, in the first round.
Ms. Anthropic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote