TennisForum.com - View Single Post - 1983

Thread: 1983
View Single Post

Old Jan 25th, 2013, 07:11 PM   #49
country flag Ms. Anthropic

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all
Re: 1983

NAVRATILOVA OVERWHELMS EVERT IN TITLE MATCH
The Miami Herald
Monday, March 7, 1983
ASSOCIATED PRESS

Top-seeded Martina Navratilova defeated second seed Chris Evert Lloyd, 6-1, 6-3, Sunday to capture the $165,000 Carta Blanca Women's Invitational in the Forum.

The championship match was the 50th meeting of the world's top two women's tennis players, and despite the loss, Evert still holds the series advantage at 30-20.

In the first set, Navratilova held a 5-1 lead, but Evert still managed to make it tough, taking Navratilova to deuce twice in the final game.

Evert started out strongly in the second set, taking a 3-1 lead on an unforced error by Navratilova. But Navratilova came back with 12 consecutive points to take a 4-3 lead and eventually the $35,000 first prize.

"I now know I can rally from the baseline," said Navratilova. "I was winning the majority of the points from the baseline. Everything was going in today.

"I don't think she has ever played better," said Evert. "We've played 50 times too many. I have to find a chink in her armor. Maybe she'll get burned out if she keeps playing like this.

"It's the best match she has ever played me, one of those days she couldn't do anything wrong."
Ms. Anthropic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote