TennisForum.com - View Single Post - 1983

Thread: 1983
View Single Post

Old Jan 25th, 2013, 08:09 PM   #48
country flag Ms. Anthropic

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all
Re: 1983

Was this an exhibition or a sanctioned tournament?

NAVRATILOVA FIGHTS OFF COMPLACENCY
The Miami Herald
Tuesday, March 8, 1983
ASSOCIATED PRESS

Martina Navratilova and Chris Evert Lloyd, the world's top- ranked women tennis players, brought greater ambitions to the $165,000 Carta Blanca-FCT Women's Invitational than simply winning the $35,000 singles prize.

"I want to make sure I don't get complacent," said Navratilova after defeating Evert Lloyd, 6-1, 6-3, Sunday. "My goal is to top last year, to win Wimbledon, the U.S. Open, and with luck, to win the grand slam."

Evert Lloyd said she also had extra incentive going into the 50th match between the two, a series she leads, 30-20.

"You work harder when you're No. 2," she said. "I was No. 1 for seven years; I would love to be No. 1 again."

In the first set, Navratilova took a 5-1 lead, but Evert Lloyd took her to deuce twice in the final game.

Evert Lloyd started strong in the second set, leading, 3-1, on an unforced error by Navratilova. But Navratilova came back with 12 straight points to take a 4-3 lead.

"It helps to get the year off on the right foot," Navratilova said. "I had two bad games with unforced errors, but Chris is the toughest one to play.

"I now know I can rally from the baseline. I was winning the majority of the points from the baseline. Everything was going in. I can still play better, but at this point I don't know how much better."

From Evert Lloyd's side of the court, the assessment was a bit higher.

"I don't think she has ever played better," said Evert Lloyd, who earned $25,000. "We've played 50 times too many. I have to find a chink in her armor. Maybe she'll get burned out if she keeps playing like this.

"It's the best match she has ever played me -- one of those days she couldn't do anything wrong."

But Evert Lloyd remained optimistic. "If I felt Martina was the perfect player, I wouldn't come out on the same court with her," she said.

Navratilova and Evert Lloyd paired to win the $10,000 doubles title Sunday night with a 7-5, 6-3 victory over Bettina Bunge and Billie Jean King.
Ms. Anthropic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote