TennisForum.com - View Single Post - AO 2013: The Bridesmaid-Bride Double. The Sequel.

View Single Post

Old Jan 25th, 2013, 07:05 PM   #2402
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: AO 2013: The Bridesmaid-Bride Double. The Sequel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiMaria View Post
Anyone know why he said this? Although i'm not surprised to say the least. Typical Fed behaviour when he's on the wrong end of the scoreline.
Well, because I'm the old fart that I am I have a somewhat different perspective on these things. In my younger days 'incidents' like these wouldn't even be noticed because we were used to much worse. Players are much, much friendlier to each other today than in the past. Jimmy Connors has said that he can't understand this. He said that he couldn't have imagined giving McEnroe a hug after beating him. "I would rather have hit him on the head with my racquet to make sure that it was really over!"

Sure, Connors is an extreme example, but he and McEnroe and Nastase were just as typical for their time as the 'nice guys' of today are. And compared to what I was used to seeing and hearing in my youth the likes of Federer, Murray, Nadal and Djokovic look like members of a church choir. That's why most of todays so-called incidents really get nothing more than a shrug of my shoulders because there's always the thought in the back of my mind of, "you should have been around when McEnroe or Connors did this or that." And incidents, REAL incidents, that is, were so common in their matches that crowds used to be kinda disappointed if they had to go home without someone losing his cool somewhere.

Just a few from "the good old days"

Chrissie-fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote