TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6

View Single Post

Old Jan 25th, 2013, 02:29 PM   #492
country flag terjw

terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6

Regarding Caro's play 2013 after a few encouraging signs right at the end of 2012 - Brisbane and Sydney I don't read too much into them that she didn't start off the blocks playing well right from the word go. But I am encouraged by her AO performance and the match by the match she lost against Sveta more than the matches she lost. I was impressed by how she played and really the only questionmark for me is how is she going to continue to play. Because if she continues to play as well as she did at the end of 2012 and as well as she did against Sveta - she will win a lot more matches and there is no doubt in my mind that she will qualify for the YEC.

A lot has been made of Caro becoming weak in pressure points and not holding serve then and if she could that it would be different because the Caro of old was mentally strong in those situations. However, I think that is tied up with her overall game just going South and particularly the number of UEs she makes since her drop with no noticable increase in winners or forced errors from her opponents. However - against Sveta in a 3-setter she had 23 winners to 22 UEs and shell get a lot of wins with those stats.

The biggest problem with Caro's serve is her 2nd serve. And it always has been even in her heyday. And it's unrealistic to expect that she's not going to have at least one servicve game as the match gets tighter where she struggles to get any 1st serves in. No player is exempt from that. When that happens - a lot is dependant on opponent and her mentality. A match can turn on whether her opponet blasts a winner or dumps the return in the net. When Caro lost her serve the end af the 3rd set - Sveta blasted 2 winners off Caro's 2nd serves. She made 4 winners to 1 UE in the last 2 games of the match.

I think the difference between now and then is that winning matches puts more pressure on opponents when it gets tight and losing matches means opponents are less likely to crack when it gets tight. Which is a vicious circle. To break the circle - she has to play tough the whole match. Don't give points away or if she does - don't let the free points she gives away get away from the winners.

So to sum up - I'd like Caro to look back at that matych in a positive light as to how to keep up playing like that the rest of 2013 rather thanm dwelling too much on if this or that she might have won.

Chris Evert, Steffi Graf, Kim Clijsters
terjw is offline View My Blog!