TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2

View Single Post

Old Jan 25th, 2013, 12:02 AM   #2507
country flag Ms. Anthropic

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all
Re: Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2

GRAF EYES GRAND SLAM AFTER WIN OVER EVERT
The Charlotte Observer
Sunday, January 24, 1988
Associated Press

Steffi Graf, the Australian Open women's champion, now has her sights set on winning the elusive Grand Slam.

Graf, 18, captured the Australian Open title and her second Grand Slam crown Saturday with a 6-1, 7-6 (7-3) victory over Chris Evert.

It was the first step on the long road to capturing tennis's four major events in one year.

The men's title was to be decided today when Wimbledon champion Pat Cash played two-time Australian Open winner Mats Wilander.

Graf, the 1987 French Open champion, realistically admitted winning the Grand Slam was a tough goal - but a goal she's firmly fixed on.

"It's a good way to start - the best I could have," she said after beating Evert.

"To win here is very important for the whole year, but I have won just one tournament. It's a long way ahead to start talking about winning a Grand Slam."

Graf's coach, Pavel Slozil, agreed with her.

"I think there are still players who have a good chance of beating her on grass," said Slozil, formerly a member of the men's tennis tour.

"To win a Grand Slam is a major achievement. There have been so many players with plenty of ability who failed to do it.

"Bjorn Borg came so close to winning a Grand Slam but never made it. He was probably the best player of all time, and yet there were so many hurdles in his way."

Evert, 33, winner of 18 Grand Slam events, is a good source to judge Graf's potential.

"I would be surprised if she won a Grand Slam - especially this year," Evert said. "I would be surprised if anybody won it - the competition is getting tougher.

"Steffi is (ranked) No. 1. But there are five or six players who are all very close behind.

"She's a front-runner. She plays better when she's ahead. It's hard to tell how she's going to handle the pressure. None of the players have got her into that situation."

Evert said she was impressed by the form of Pam Shriver during this tournament, and cited Gabriela Sabatini, Hana Mandlikova, and No. 2 Martina Navratilova as among the players capable of beating Graf.

"I've said it before: playing Steffi is different from playing anyone else," she said.

"There are a lot of great serve-and-volley players, but there hasn't been anyone like Steffi - except maybe Tracy Austin. And even she didn't hit the ball that hard.

"The more I play her, the more I'm going to get used to her game."

The last woman to achieve a calendar year Grand Slam was Margaret Court of Australia in 1970. Navratilova completed a noncalendar year Grand Slam by winning the 1984 French Open after winning Wimbledon, the U.S. Open and the Australian Open in 1983.

Against Evert, Graf won the first set handily and led 5-1 in the second set, before Evert rallied to win five straight games. Graf recovered to win the next game and force the tiebreaker, which she won impressively.

The match, at the new National Tennis Center, lasted only one hour 11 minutes and was the first Grand Slam final to be played indoors.

"I didn't have too much difficulty with the roof and lights," Graf said, "but she didn't seem to be into it."

The victory was Graf's fifth in a row over Evert in straight sets, although Evert still leads their series 6-5. It was Evert's sixth Australian Open final, but she has won only two.

U.S. team Rick Leach and Jim Pugh, currently the winningest doubles pair in tennis, continued their remarkable success, capturing the men's doubles title by defeating Jeremy Bates and Peter Lundgren 6-3, 6-2, 6-3.
Ms. Anthropic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote