TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Sloane Stephens or Madison Keys?

View Single Post

Old Jan 24th, 2013, 07:09 AM   #5
country flag Marilyn Monheaux

Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sloane Stephens or Madison Keys?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally Todd View Post
Um, hopefully both..............................down the road.

The US media is jumping the gun big time. Brad Gilbert is already forecasting majors for Madison. And the circus came to town the second Sloane beat Serena. I really hope Sloane didn't beat Serena too early, if you know what I mean.

It's a different tennis world than when Venus and Serena were coming up. Social media means that the media glare is up in these young players' psyches in a way that it wasn't back then. Plus Venus and Serena had the support of each other, even if the prejudices they faced were much stronger, or at least more overt.

Madison has the kind of big game that has bigger potential. But Sloane could reintroduce clay court tennis to the US, not to mention a more nuanced approach. I'm not sold on her yet as a hard court contender but I think she has huge potential on clay.

They always do that. As long as they don't come down on them when they're not consistently beating top players (which they won't, yet), it's alright in my book. I hope that Sloane and Madison handle the pressure better than Oudin and her weak ass game did. Sloane seems to deal pretty well, haven't seen that much from Madison, yet. I'm optimistic about both of them, though. Sloane will probably be ahead this year, but long term I could see Madison having a better career. Not saying she's a future number one, but she does have a lot of potential.
Marilyn Monheaux is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote