TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6

View Single Post

Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 05:10 PM   #457
country flag Burisleif

Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlox View Post
Probably true. Its only because she started her career so well, looking like a young superstar being in a USO final in 2009 then getting to #1 in 2010.
I have no doubt she is trying her best, and her level has been very consistent these last 20 months.

I wonder about the slow start in big matches. She didnt play well in set 1.
You cant afford to lose the first set in tough matches. She lost 16 to Kanepi at FO. Started very slow against Kim a year ago. Of course Begu.
I think they should study why she cant compete better in first sets in some of these slam matches. She doesnt play that many slam matches in a year, she has to be ready from the first point to beat good players
She is still only 22, and never did have the shock and awe of a Masha etc. she has always been more of a wiley fox. What's more, while many have come and gone (or are in the process of going) she is still here near the top. Many players have a mid career crisis or two... Even the very best.

The slow starts could be any number of reasons. Finding her 'rydum', hitting partner off sick, wrong tactics, no practice court, unprepared (1st time matchup), unexpected aproach from oponant, still not reading the game like a wise old bird... You could ask other players the same question. Getting past needing on court coaching is still on the to do list.

It would be interesting to see if Angliru has some detailed slam stats for each year re slow 1st sets i.e. 1st set score and win or lose in 2 or 3. If I find time I might just nock some up my self.